Click HERE to find out what's happening this week!
If you would like additional information on our church or our ministries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northridge Community Church
5100 Dickerson Road Charlottesville, VA 22911
Office: (434) 964-1500
Fax: (434) 964-1500
5100 Dickerson Road Charlottesville, VA 22911 Office: (434) 964-1560
Fax: (434) 964-1500
Click HERE for a map.
Northridge Community Church (NCC) began as a dream in the heart of our District Superintendent, Rev. C.L. Thompson. He had a vision to begin a new church on the north side of Charlottesville, VA. This vision included contacting Pastor Ray and Beth Stark and in late July of 1996 the Stark's moved to Charlottesville. In mid-September of that same year, the Stark's home became the meeting place for the beginning of NCC. A group of 7 people quickly grew to a group of 25-30 people meeting each Wednesday in their living room for fellowship, studying God’s Word, and for being a part of a vision that was bigger than any of them.
During those times together, God was preparing them for an even bigger adventure – that of having their first public worship service. In late January of 1997 they made over 27,000 phone calls to let people in the community know about a new church. Then, a few months later on Easter Sunday, the people of NCC held their first public worship service at Hollymead Elementary School. It truly was a defining moment in the history of the church. The small group of 25-30 people had worked hard behind the scenes in preparing for this big event. God honored their faithfulness and 122 people attended that first service. In the months that followed the group of 25 grew to an average of 55 in attendance. But the church was just beginning to see what God had in store for them.
Early in the fall of 1997, NCC had the opportunity to pursue God’s vision for the next step in their journey as a young church. They felt that God was leading them to rent a facility that could be used seven days a week and not just on Sunday’s. The church faced another defining moment in its young history. In one great offering they raised nearly $15,000 in cash and pledges in order to renovate the new facility - a 5200 square foot grocery store. This leap of faith required a lot of hard work in order to turn the store into a house of worship. Three months and hundreds of sacrificed hours later, the new facility was finally ready for occupancy.
Over the next three years many wonderful things had occurred in this facility. Many people had come to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Lives had been changed, families had been strengthened and people had grown closer to the Lord. God’s Holy Spirit was present in a powerful way during the worship services. The congregation of NCC has celebrated together. We laughed together and we cried together. NCC ministries had expanded to now average around 80 in weekly attendance at its Sunday morning worship service.
It is great to look back at what God had done for us but we knew the Lord had bigger plans! God challenged our church to step out on faith and catch the vision and share the dream. God gave us a clear image of what we could and should do for Him and it involved a clear vision for the future. In October of 1999, we signed an agreement to purchase nearly 10 acres of land, which would become the site of our new permanent church home. God was incredibly faithful during this time as He literally performed miracles in order for us to buy the land. The purchase of that land was just the first step in realizing the vision that God has for the future of our church. We came to realize that God is truly building His church and that He would overcome any obstacles that stood in our way.
In September of 2001, we began to build our new church - just north of GE Fanuc on Route 29. It took a great deal of dedication and sacrifice as we decided early on that we would do the vast majority of the work ourselves. It is a beautiful facility that is a combination of brick, stucco, and vinyl siding. The building is over 11,200 square feet, and includes space for worship, children, youth, adult ministries, small groups, and offices.
We are very excited that each week we have the opportunity to worship in the church the God gave us the grace to build! Come visit us any Sunday and Wednesday and see what all the excitement is about.